Friday, May 7, 2010

Why Am I obsessed with the figure?

I am obsessed with the figure, the body, the human form for it's beauty, simplicity and multiplicity. There are several different types of bodies both male and female. The multiplicity, individual beauty and simplicity of the form of the figure is what attracts me to it as a subject for my work.

My recent body of work, waiting has been described as "just another series of female nudes" But viewer look closer and you will see that the images are not just female nudes, they are more than just about the figure they are about identity. Now I am not saying that all nude images are about identity but I am approaching issues of identity through the use of my female form. Addressing issues about my heritage, sexuality, gender and age through the exploration of my own figure.

Our bodies tell us a lot about our past, present and future. The figure as a subject for art is dead in the art world, let's bring it back! What are we afraid of? The truth of what we look like?

No comments: