Sunday, May 2, 2010

Over Stimulated by Remix Culture (in a good way)

I felt a little over stimulated on Thursday night by all the remix visuals and sounds. I do not mean that in a bad way though. I just mean there was a lot to take in that night.
My favorite pieces were Adan's video and sound performance, Max's and Andrew's solo cups and Paule's interactive installation. I enjoyed their interactive qualities, even though Adan's noise made me cringe.

My piece for Invasion was a remix of my photographs and my drawings. My photographs are inspired by photographer and sculptor Hans Bellmer and my drawings are influenced by Nicholas Bourriaud's, The Radicant.

The other nine prints are photographs I have been working on all semester. They are not directly derived or influenced by a specific artist but remix culture has made me work with my art and look at my art differently. In other words I have remixed my own work.

Overall, this class has opened me up to a lot of new ways to work and new media to work with. I do not think I will ever think of the "black box" or the "apparatus" the same anymore, but I am glad for this change. I feel that the theories and media of remix culture allow me more opportunities to create work and recreate work and recreate and recreate and recreate...

No comments: